People have often asked us about the language barrier. Well, it hasn't really been much of an issue. It is amazing how much you can communicate without saying a word. Sydney has taught us some basic Chinese and she is also picking up English pretty rapidly. Sydney can also understand a lot more than she is able to speak. We tell her the name of everything and repeat things several times and it is amazing how quickly she is picking it up. I love to hear her say something out of the blue for the first time.
So Like I said before the language barrier has not been a problem...except for yesterday where we had a little misunderstanding.
First of all, Sydney loves cars, car video games, and any kid ride that involves driving a car.
So, yesterday I had to take her to apply for her social security card.
This is what happened:
Me (mom): "We are going today to get you a social security card and it is blue like MaMa and BaBa."
Sydney: "Ok Cool".
She happily jumped in the car and off we went. I then took note of her skipping into the building with a huge smile on her face and yelling "thank you..MaMa". Hmmm, I just sat there in the large crowded room of people thinking what a wonderful child she is and so unlike all of the other children there who were all acting up. So after a waiting for what seemed like forever (she is still sitting amazingly quiet at this point) we went outside to get a toy out of the car. After retrieving her two Tansformer toys, we began to walk back to the building.
This is the point where the language barrier presented itself. She pointed to a car sitting in the front of the parking lot and asked ever so sweetly "Sydney's Car?" "Where Sydney's Car Like MaMa and BaBa?" "Blue?"
It hit me like a brick: She thought I said we were going to get her a C A R not CARD!!! She actually thought we were buying her a car and she really wanted a blue one. I thought to myself well at least she is still getting a "blue CARD".
So, now I had to try to explain to her that were waiting almost 2 hours for an important card and not a CAR. I do not think she quite understood what happened and appeared dumbfounded as we walked out with NOTHING. She was a trooper though and did not fuss but looked a little disappointed.
So I guess I will have to try a speak a little more clearly.








1 comment:
Oh poor Sydney. All excited that she is going to get a car and got a silly little card that she can't even play with. :-)
Cute story!
Post a Comment